Tired caregivers may not always know where to turn when it comes to supporting a beloved older family member. Respite care provides short-term relief for primary caregivers. The program allows you a couple weeks (or more) of relief if you find yourself in need of a little you time. Knowing that care is available for a loved one brings peace of mind for you and can provide a change of pace and uplift the spirits of a senior.
Now, more than one in five Americans are caregivers. The number of family caregivers in the United States increased from 43.5 million people in 2015 to 53.0 million in 2020, according to the “Caregiving in the U.S. 2020” report by the National Alliance for Caregiving (NAC) and AARP. The study also reports that family caregivers are in worse health compared to five years ago.
At Anthology Senior Living, healthcare professionals are available around the clock, offering uncompromising care within an inspiring setting. Whether it’s for two weeks or a month, respite stays are a valuable option for older adults.
Anthology of Wheaton
219 Parkway Dr., Wheaton, IL
In the small town of Wheaton, Illinois, the assisted living and memory care community Anthology of Wheaton is situated among family homes on a tree-lined street. The modern colonial charm of the exterior of the building envelops a neighborly spirit inside. Anthology of Wheaton features spacious private suites and contemporary amenities.
Anthology of Grayslake
1865 E. Belvidere Rd., Grayslake, IL
Located within the historic town of Grayslake, Anthology of Grayslake provides assisted living and memory care for seniors who need assistance with the tasks of daily living. Private suites and comfortable gathering areas are designed to meet the accessibility and security needs of older adults.
Choosing respite care
As you navigate the journey to find the right respite care setting, consider these issues:
- Evaluate the community’s attitude and ambiance as you tour. Is the staff friendly? How responsive do they seem? Are the residents happy?
- Is the environment safe and engaging?
- Does the dining room have a congenial feel and encourage socializing over meals?
- Ask for a menu and talk to the dietitian and chef.
- Do residents’ rooms have the feel of home? Are they adorned with nostalgic, personal mementos from their previous residence to make them feel more comfortable?
- Are there amenities such as game rooms, fitness studios, and outdoor gathering areas?
Anthology of Wheaton and Grayslake both provide these respite offerings:
- Spacious, private accommodations with a variety of senior-friendly floor plans.
- Contemporary design with well-appointed interior.
Services & amenities
- Diverse menu options, dining venues, and all-day dining.
- Home maintenance, housekeeping, and linen services.
- Assistance with activities of daily living, such as dressing, bathing, grooming, dining, and medication management.
- Exercise, fitness, and wellness programs.
- Daily social, cultural, and recreational activities.
- Salon and barbershop.
The Anthology Senior Living teams are continually evolving their standards to pursue better methods, experiences, and services to make a remarkable impact on each life they touch. The communities are guided by five core values: delivering an aspirational lifestyle, leading with smart compassion from both the head and the heart, providing uncompromised care, celebrating the individual, and nurturing the power of connection.
Transitioning a loved one into a senior living community can be challenging. Respite care not only provides the short-term relief a caretaker needs, but it can also be a way to test the waters to see how you and a loved one like the community in case long-term care is needed in the future.